Wednesday 23 December 2009

The lure of the open road






Over the last few years my cycling has mostly been of the racing variety, ranging from short distance time trials and track through cyclo cross to 100 milers, 12 hour TT's, Paris Roubaix and the Tour of Flanders but maybe its time for a bit of a change for a year. (I know the last two aren't exactly races, but I dare you to try riding them in a leisurely manner.) Don't get me wrong, I love racing, well actually I just love being on the bike and its been a while since I did much Audax or touring. Until last year Mrs. Kipper and I started the year on the tandem with 4 or 5 100 or 150 km Audaxes locally but in 2009 we didn't do any. We did a few amiless rides just going out on touring bikes in France in August - rough stuff, not really knowing where we were going to go, finding cafes en route etc. etc. Perhaps its time we had a change in emphasis and just go out for a ride a bit more in 2010.
What with starting a new Company, a six month contract requiring every Tuesday in Warwick and not knowing where the money will come from as the year progresses, planning a racing season is going to be more problematic than it has been in the past so a more relaxed approch is called for.
So.... Despite the fact that I've already entered the Paris Roubaix Cyclo next June and entered the South East SPOCO competition, I think there will be more days just going for a ride. Hopefully I'll be able to carry on the club Wednesday 10's and defend my Classic bike 25 crown but with Christmas coming, snow and slush on the ground and a stinking cold making its way through my sinuses, its time to get the maps out....

No comments: